Albers Brothers Milling Co and the Oakland MoleAlbers Brothers Milling Co and the Oakland Mole
Funds for road improvements at the foot of Seventh Street in the Port of Oakland were secured through the State Emergency Relief Administration (SERA) in 1935 (Minutes of the Port Commissioners). SERA was funded by the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) of the New Deal.
The improvements were to serve an expansion of the Albers Brothers milling plant, which had occupied the site alongside the Southern Pacific mole since 1918. Albers Bros. leased the site from the Port of Oakland.
The Albers Bros. mill and grain silos (completed in 1940) were a landmark of the port for many years until torn down for the massive expansion of the Seventh Street container terminal in the last decades of the 20th century.
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Digital Visual Library-
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE