The “Jefferson Lions Club Swimming Pool [was] located at the extreme west end of West Whelan Street, one block west of Highway 59 North, also known as North Walcott Street. The site today is occupied by the Jefferson Independent School District’s Transportation Building and parking lot for its school bus fleet. It was constructed by the [WPA], sometime in the late 1930’s. It was originally part of a City Park Complex that ran from Tuttle Street to Ferris Street (now MLK), and from West Harrison Street north to the swimming pool. It included the old high school football field, a concrete tennis court, picnic tables and some playground equipment. Jefferson Elementary School occupies most of this area now. The picnic tables as well as the bath house were constructed out of native iron ore rock, a hallmark of WPA projects in this area. An asphalt parking lot was located east of the pool for its patrons, and is probably the same asphalt apron in use today for parking the school buses.”
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on February 20, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE