The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) began construction on “a collegiate-sized pool with underwater lighting and an adjacent bath house” in 1936 at what is now Valdosta State University. The school was completed by the state in 1938. The exact position of the pool on the campus is unknown to Living New Deal; the pool has since been replaced.
"Valdosta State University" by Deborah Skinner Davis; Arcadia Publishing, Apr 12, 2001 (page 43). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Valdosta_State_University
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on December 21, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE