Parks received the property for this park from the Department of Water Supply, Gas and Electricity in 1940. It completed this playground, originally called the P.S. 166 Playground after the adjacent school, in June 1941. The press release announcing the playground’s opening explained the WPA’s work:
“New concrete street curbs have been installed along 35 Avenue and Steinway Street and the existing concrete sidewalks have been widened to 18 feet.
A 5 foot wide granite block panel extends along the inside of the fence with benches spaced between the new 3 inch calipher pin oaks. A battery of kindergarten swings for pre-school children and large swings for the adolescent group, each segregated by a 4 foot chain link fence, parallels the east property line. The south side of the plot contains the slides, see-saws and pipe frame exercise unit. A 6′ x 10′ brick tool house lies adjacent to the entrance. The remainder of the plot may be used for free play space or basketball practice with a single standard located at the center of the north property line.
All work was performed by the Work Projects Administration from plans prepared by the Department of Parks.”
The playground is still in use.
Department of Parks, Press Release, June 23, 1941 NYC Parks - Playground Thirty-Five New York City Parks Department New Deal Projects 1934-43
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on December 10, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE