Planetarium Station post office
The historic Planetarium Station post office in New York, New York is located on West 83rd Street, between Amsterdam Ave. and Columbus Ave. It was one of many post offices in Manhattan constructed with federal Treasury Department funds during the New Deal era. The post office was initially known as New York, New York’s Station ‘W’ until its redesignation as Planetarium Station on Oct. 1, 1946.
The building’s cornerstone, and an interior plaque, put the dates of construction at 1935 to 1937. The building is still in service.
This building was erected under the act of Congress dated June 16, 1933 and was completed during the administration of Franklin Delano Roosevelt, President of the United States of America
Henry Morgenthau Jr. of New York, Secretary of the Treasury
James A Farley, Postmaster General
Albert Goldman, Postlaster, New York City
Building cornerstone, plaque
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on August 15, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE