Picnic shelter, Pixley Falls State Park - Boonville NY
In 1940, CCC ‘boys’ from the Boonville Civilian Conservation Corps camp S-122 built the facilities at Pixley Falls State Park on Route 46 south of Boonville NY. According to Podskach:
“They made clearings for campsites and created a wading pool with a stone masonry dam on the stream. The next summer the boys built a 25-ft reinforced concrete bridge and the park project was completed.” Podskach also includes a photo (see below) of a picnic shelter presumably built by the CCC boys.
The original picnic shelter is still prominent and there are picnic tables but no designated campsites. A path down to a viewing site below the falls is probably the work of the CCC boys and at the bottom is one fireplace that looks original. The bridge across the Lansing Kill from the main road to the picnic area appears to have been replaced by a new one. Th ranger station at the park entrance is very likely CCC work, but that has not been confirmed.
Podskoch, Martin. 2011. Adirondack Civilian Conservation Corps Camps: History, Memories & Legacy of the CCC. East Hampton CT: Podskoch Press, pp. 81-82.
Mitch Lee, local historian & storyteller from Inlet NY, [email protected] /PO Box 142 Inlet NY 13360
Project originally submitted by Joan Greer on November 20, 2018.
Additional contributions by Richard A Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE