The federal Works Progress Administration undertook a $93,900 project starting in 1935 to modernize and otherwise improve several public (now-former) bath facilities in Brooklyn, NY. The public baths at 1752 Pitkin Ave. were constructed in 1903; the baths closed in 1949 and the building is privately owned.
The facilities identified as part of the WPA project were:
- 209 Wilson Ave.
- Municipal Baths, Coney Island
- Duffield Street
- Hicks Street
- Pitkin Ave.
- Huron St.
- Montrose Ave.
National Archives RG 69: Records of the Work Projects Administration [WPA]; Project Files; New York City (E 407); box 684; roll 3643; Official Project No. 65-97-40. http://brooklynrelics.blogspot.com/2013/12/public-bath-on-huron-street-greenpoint.html
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on September 9, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE