On September 30, 1941, Parks announced the opening of a new playground behind Public School 119 to be shared by the Department of Parks and the Board of Education. The press release explained that the playground was divided in two sections. In the south section, “A central free play area is flanked by three combination volleyball Legend basketball courts with removable goal posts, and a string, three shuffleboard courts and four paddle tennis courts. This entire section may be used for roller skating and flooded for ice skating.” The north section contained benches and trees, a brick comfort station, a wading pool, seesaws and slides. The playground was “constructed by the Work Projects Administration from plans prepared by the Department of Parks.”
The playground is now known as Pinocchio Playground.
Department of Parks, Press Release, September 30, 1941 New York City Parks Department New Deal Projects 1934-43 NYC Parks - Pinocchio Playground
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on December 21, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE