Pierce Mill, Rock Creek Park - Washington D
The National Park Service, which took over command of the Capitol Parks system in 1934, restored the old Pierce Mill in Rock Creek Park in 1935-36 with the aid of a grant from the Public Works Administration (PWA) of $26,614 and labor of Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) enrollees. The project was completed in March 1936.
The old mill building was constructed in 1810 of native split stone taken from a nearby quarry. It is 50 by 40 feet in size. One gable is stone and the other wood frame. The floors are wide oak plank and the roofing is wood shingles. The water wheel and equipment for grinding flour is typical of the 19th century and the equipment was faithfully reproduced. (Short & Stanley-Brown 1939)
Pierce Mill still survives and is a key feature of Rock Creek Park.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
Short, C. W. and R. Stanley-Brown, 1939. Public Buildings: A Survey of Architecture of Projects Constructed by Federal and Other Governmental Bodies Between the Years 1933 and 1939 with the Assistance of the Public Works Administration. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office.
Project originally submitted by Ben Hass on December 4, 2011.
Additional contributions by Richard Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE