WPA Workers at St. Peter's MemorialPhoto taken by the WPA, and provided courtesy of the University of Maryland College Park Archives.
This is a small memorial building in Westernport, Maryland, at the St. Peter’s Cemetery (it is unclear whether the Philos Cemetery still exists and, if it does, if it is still called “Philos”). A plaque on the building reads, in part:
“IN MEMORIAM, LEST WE FORGET, This building is dedicated in remembrance of all those who took part in all wars to preserve the freedom and liberty for our country who now sleep in peace in Philos and St. Peter’s Cemeteries…Erected in 1937 by WPA labor and funds collected over a long period of time by the Memorial Day Committee of the citizens of the tri-towns Piedmont-Westernport-Luke. Sponsored by Potomac Camp No. 5 United Spanish War Veterans.”
(1) WPA photograph collection at the University of Maryland College Park Archives. (2) Information plaque on building.
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee - wpatoday.org on March 31, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE