An August 1935 Parks Department press release lists the site now known as Peretz Square as one of seventy-three play areas developed in the preceding year with “city, state and federal relief funds.” The release describes this park as having play areas designed for mothers and infants and older children.
The site was acquired by the Parks Department in May 1934.
Although the press release does not identify which federal agencies were involved, researcher Frank da Cruz explains here that New Deal park projects developed before August 1935 would have been financed by one or more agencies including the CWA, FERA, the RFC, TERA or the WPA.
NYC Parks - Peretz Square New York City Parks Department New Deal Projects 1934-43 Department of Parks, Press Release, August 12, 1935
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on February 7, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE