Project type: Campgrounds and Cabins, Parks and Recreation
Quality of Information: Very Good
Site Survival: ExtantView Project in a Separate Window
Percy Quin State Park was cleared and constructed by the members of the camp at Percy Quin, established August 16, 1935 (CCC Legacy). The park opened in 1939 after 4 years of construction, and was the 9th of 10 state parks built by the CCC in Mississippi. The rustic pavilion was completed in 1938. The lodge and group cabins were brick, in a Colonial Revival design, atypical of most CCC constructed state park facilities. Lake Tangipahoa, part of the state park, was reported to have been constructed by Works Progress Administration in 1936 (Clarion-Ledger).
Clarion-Ledger. (26 July 1936). p. 8 Civilian Conservation Corps Legacy. Retrieved May 24, 2017 from https://www.ccclegacy.org/CCC_Camps_Mississippi.html Percy Quin State Park. Retrieved May 24, 2017 from https://mdwfp.com/parks-destinations/state-parks/percy-quin/ Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Historic Resources Inventory. Percy Quin State Park. Retrieved May 24, 2017 from https://www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/Public/prop.aspx?view=facts andhttps://www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/Public/prop.aspx?id=25319&view=facts&y=1200
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on May 25, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE