Pella IA Post Office
The post office in Pella was completed in 1937 with funds provided by the Treasury Department. It is also the site of Byron Ben Boyd’s 1938 mural, “Hollanders Settle in Pella,” completed with funds provided by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts and viewable in the lobby.
“Over 1,000 residents in the Marion County town of Pella toured the post office on its opening day, April 26, 1937. The Pella Chronicle wrote the $55,000 post office ‘fills a long-felt need and it will now be possible to give even better service than before.’ The article highlights the spacious lobby, efficient workspace, and damp-proof basement in addition to noting the postmaster’s ‘luxurious private office which was overflowing with flowers sent by well-wishers.’
“Key features on the second level include the ‘Swing’ room where employees may rest during their off-hours and the “peeping gallery,” a space used by postal inspectors for observing employees on the main floor without being seen themselves. Postal service was first established in Pella in 1845 as Lake Prairie.” (iowabackroads.com)
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
Originally posted in the New Deal Art Registry: http://www.newdealartregistry.org/ http://iowabackroads.com/tag/marion-county/ http://www.savethepostoffice.com/node/9867
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE