View on Pebble Lake Golf CoursePhoto from Zach Stich, “Favorite Places in Fergus Falls: 21. Pebble Lake Golf Course,” Fergus Falls Daily Journal, June 7, 2016.
In 1939 the Works Progress Administration (WPA) helped build the Pebble Lake Golf Course in Fergus Falls, Minnesota.
“Through the assistance of a grant by WPA of $61,587,” a writer for Parks & Recreation reported in January of 1939, “construction of a municipal golf course will soon be under way at Pebble Lake, Fergus Falls, Minn.” City boosters and businessmen led the charge to locate a new golf course within the municipality of Fergus Falls. After much legal and political wrangling, WPA laborers eventually began constructing the course.
“The 20 WPA workers” assigned to the project, historian Randy LaFoy documents, “used stones collected from the field during site preparation to build the wall that bordered the golf course. The stone wall still stands.”
“Fergus Falls Builds Golf Course,” Parks & Recreation, January 1939.
Randy LaFoy, “WPA-Built Golf Courses in Minnesota,” Minnesota History 66(6), 2019. https://collections.mnhs.org/MNHistoryMagazine/articles/66/v66i06p244-254.pdf
Project originally submitted by Gray Brechin on June 9, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE