Payson Lakes Guard Station - Mt Nebo U
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) made extensive recreational improvements on Mt. Nebo, the highest and southern-most peak of the Wasatch Mountains. The CCC teams worked out of three camps: F-9 at the south end of the Mt. Nebo Loop, F-3 at Hubble Canyon and F-40 near Provo, from 1933 to 1938 – and possibly to 1941 when the last camp closed.
After building the Mt Nebo Loop Road (Scenic Byway), the CCC enrollees created campgrounds, picnic areas and trails. Not all this work can be identified precisely, but some can be verified from reliable sources.
Payson Lakes Guard Station was built in 1935 by men of CCC Camp F-40 (Rock Canyon) (SHPO, p. 95). The guard station is still there and is now used as recreational cabins for rent (recreation.gov). It lies just south of Payson Lakes, just off the Mt. Nebo Loop Road (Scenic Byway).
Payson Lakes Campground is likely a CCC campground, but may predate the New Deal.
Kenneth Baldridge, The Civilian Conservation Corps in Utah. Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press, 2019.
Utah SHPO CCC Database, 3-29-2021, p. 95
Project originally submitted by Richard A Walker on July 17, 2021.
Additional contributions by Joan Greer.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE