Paulina Lake Guard StationThe Paulina Lake Guard Station located in the Deschutes National Forest, near Bend, Oregon, United States. The guard station is listed on the US National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). Photo is looking west at the guard station's main entrance.
Located within the Newberry National Volcanic Monument area of the Deschutes National Forest (approximately 36 miles southeast of Bend), the Paulina Lake Guard Station was built by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) employees in 1938 to house a seasonal ranger responsible for patrolling the campground and surrounding forest during wildfire season. It currently houses the Paulina Visitors Center, the interpretive center for the Newberry Caldera.
Finished in horizontal clapboard, with vertical board and batten on its gable ends, the one-story wooden structure with an interior stone chimney reflects the rustic-style developed by the Forest Service in the Pacific Northwest during the early part of the twentieth century. As noted on its National Register nomination form, a recessed flagstone porch (surrounded on three sides) marks the entrance to the former residence. Given its architectural and historical significance, it received National Register of Historic Places status in 1986.
"Paulina Lake Guard Station", National Register of Historic Places Inventory -- Nomination Form, National Park Service, United States Department of Interior, Washington, D.C., 11 April 1986. http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/deschutes/recreation/recarea/?recid=38442&actid=29
Project originally submitted by Judith T Kenny on January 5, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE