Madeleine V. Leckie Elementary School
In 1943, the Washington Post reported that the Federal Works Agency (FWA) had constructed the former Patterson Elementary School near Bolling Field in the district’s southeast quadrant: “Completed and in use during the past term is the Patterson School, an eight-room elementary, Second and Chesapeake Streets Southeast, to serve the children of workers at the Bellevue Naval establishment in Anacostia.”
The Patterson School was a temporary building in use from 1943 to 1946 at Chesapeake and Nichols Avenue SW. A larger replacement building was constructed at South Capitol and Elmira Streets SW and opened in 1946. Thereafter, the original Patterson school building was used for various purposes until it was demolished in the late 1960’s in order that the Madeline V. Leckie Elementary School could be constructed. The latter opened in 1970.
“A struggle for home front morale,” Washington Post, July 18, 1943, p. B5
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee - wpatoday.org on April 3, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE