Entrance sign, Patrick's Point State Park - Trinidad CA
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) did major work developing Patrick’s Point State Park, which had just been purchased by the new State Parks Commission in 1929. The CCC work was carried out between 1933 and 1937 by the men of Company 1903 at Camp Prairie Creek.
Engbeck reports that the CCC enrollees tore out an old road and reconfigured the entry road in a more naturalized fashion; constructed a campground and day-use picnic area, with combination restrooms, washrooms and laundry rooms; rehabilitated a staff residence; and cleared a protective firebreak around the perimeter of the park (Engbeck, p. 24).
The CCC crews did more than that. Rangers at the visitor center credit the CCC with the park’s extensive trail system and stonework. It is also very likely that the road system around the large park was laid out by the CCC and that a water supply system was laid down.
The campground at Lookout Rock appears to have original CCC stone stoves, but we did not investigate the other park campgrounds and picnic areas. The elegant restroom at Lookout Point may be CCC, but the concrete slab construction indicates that it is more recent. An ancient standpipe/fire hydrant near Lookout Point looks to be of CCC vintage.
The most striking CCC work in the park are stone stair and viewing platforms, on Wedding Rock, Ceremonial Rock and Lockout Rock.
Engbeck, Joseph Jr. 2002. By the People, For the People: The Work of the Civilian Conservation Corps in California State Parks, 1933-1941. Sacramento: California State Parks.
Project originally submitted by Richard Walker on June 15, 2021.
Additional contributions by Joan Greer.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE