Mount Rainier was the nation’s fifth National Park, established 1899. During the Great Depression the New Deal’s Civilian Conservation Corps greatly aided the park’s development.
“The Paradise Ski-Tow Powerhouse was built to house a portable ski-tow system. Paradise was a significant skiing venue during the 1930s, but the Park Service did not permit a permanent ski lift facility. The ski-tow house was built in 1937 by the Civilian Conservation Corps with a steeply pitched roof similar to that of the ranger station.”
Based on a map on a National Register of Historic Places nomination form (wa.gov, .pdf page 21), Living New Deal believes the structure to be demolished.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on March 12, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE
This building is still standing next to the ranger station, it might not be the “powerhouse” now but that structure is not demolished.