“Pakomet Spring. This area was developed by the CCC in 1936 and 1937 as a roadside pull-off, reflecting the increased presence of automobiles in the reservation during the 1930s. It formerly included guard rails, landscaping, tables, and seats. All that remains is a mortared stone wall flanking the entrance to a U-shaped drive.”
1936 Massachusetts Metropolitan District Commission annual report:
“The Pakomet Spring parking area was completed early in the season. This development, located on the easterly side of Randolph Avenue, provides an at attractive spot for picnic parties. The work involved consisted of the construction of natural stone entrance walls, suitable guard rails, grading and landscaping, and the installation of tables and seats. The spring was thoroughly cleaned out and rebuilt. “
http://www.mass.gov/eea/docs/dcr/stewardship/rmp/bh/section-2-blue-hills-reservation.pdf (pg. 2-21)
"Annual report of the Metropolitan District Commission," by Massachusetts Metropolitan District Commission (1936 volume; pg. 14)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on February 10, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE