The Public Works Administration (PWA) contributed approximately $5,400 toward the construction of the Aleknagik Schoolhouse Inn in 1938. Built as a territorial school in 1933, the facility initially consisted of a log cabin. In 1938, the PWA built a two-story structure. The… read more
“The Alex Public School (pronounced Elic), is a red brick one-story T-shaped building, with its main entrance in the north intersection of the T. This entrance has new aluminum and glass double doors with two concrete steps. The doors are… read more
This plaque of Alexander Hamilton in military uniform is displayed near the entrance to the administration office of Alexander Hamilton High School in Los Angeles. The plaque was created in 1935 by Roger Noble Burnham, the same artist behind the… read more
In January 1940, the Parks Department announced the completion of a complete renovation of what is now the Alexander Hamilton Playground: “At the Hamilton Place area, the old playground has been entirely reconstructed to provide for wider and more intensive… read more
“During the 1930s, the Civilian Works Administration (CWA) made general repairs to the lodge and outbuildings and erected a new flagpole.”
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) conducted improvement work at the old Alhambra School in Phoenix, Arizona during the 1930s. A gymnasium was also constructed in 1938. Living New Deal believes the old facility to be demolished.
The Works Progress Administration built the Alice Savage Elementary in Red Oak. Contributor note: “The Alice Savage Elementary School, located on North Main is a one-story coursed native sandstone building, with a flat roof on the classroom section and a… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) added a Kindergarten to the Aliso Elementary School in Carpinteria CA. It is unknown to us which part of the present school this is.
“LOS ANGELES HOUSING PROJECTS – A group of Los Angeles architects, composed of George Adams, Walter Davis, John Kibbey, Ross Montgomery, William Mullay and Lloyd Wright, has prepared preliminary plans for the proposed housing project to be built in the… read more
The federal Work Projects Administration worked to improve Allapartus Road in Ossining [New Castle], New York during the 1930s. One project, which cost $10,557 (of which the WPA contributed $7,701) was described by the WPA in its project rolls: “excavating,… read more
The Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) supplied funds to enable additions to what was then the Allegheny County Home and Hospital, later Woodville State Hospital.
“The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) provided jobs to people willing to work towards reforestation of cut-over timber land and was the progenitor organization of the Allegheny National Forest. A number of CCC camps and CCC associated property types are located… read more
Pittsburgh’s then-new Allegheny River Road (as extended through Oakmont and Verona) was one road paved as part of New Deal efforts: the Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a $212,472 grant for one Allegheny County highway improvement project undertaken in 1937, whose total cost was… read more
The Allen Jay School Rock Gymnasium opened on November 21, 1939, on the school campus then outside High Point, North Carolina. Besides a gymnasium, the building had locker rooms, a library, and two classrooms. The project was completed using funds… read more
At Alley Spring, the CCC constructed many trails, rock walls, 11 buildings, campgrounds, roads, restored the mill including replacing the floor, and diverted the slough adjacent to the mill to insure that it did not silt in. The CCC unit… read more
Located in the Snow Mountain Ranger District of the Malheur National Forest (transferred from the Ochoco National Forest in 2003), the Allison Ranger Station can be described as historically significant given its age and continuous use in the administration of… read more
The original Alms House of Prince George’s County on this site dated back to the late 18th century. The Alms House provided a place of shelter for indigents, paupers, disabled and other citizens without financial support. Many of these people… read more
The Works Progress Administration completed improvements on Altona Road and vicinity. “At the entrance to the French Village area was a corner that constituted a death trap ever since the large increase in automobile traffic in the island. The danger… read more