“Memorial Park is located between Classen Blvd. and Western Avenue, just south of N.W. 36th Street. It was established in 1908 and is a beautiful, historic park. Winding through this area are numerous concrete walking paths, and every 10-15 ft…. read more
The concrete staircase connecting Hoover Avenue and Oakview Drive was built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1939.
“Besides the wonderful old WPA-constructed buildings throughout the country, WPA labor was used to construct parks, walls, bridges. parks and numerous other items. During our travels, we often come across sidewalks, even in residential parts of town, that are stamped… read more
The Massachusetts Department of Forestry acquired “one thousand acres of land in Wrentham and Plainville” in 1934. CCC labor was utilized to “clean up the underbrush, make the woodroads into real roads, rebuild old dams which have been down for… read more
Multiple New Deal agencies carried out improvement, development, and/or construction work at what was then Wrentham State School (now Wrentham Developmental Center). Annual Report: “Much valuable work has been done at the institution during the year through the use of… read more
WPA Project No. 265-5-3000, App. Date 10/26/36, $8,295, Total Funds $10,733, Average Employed 56, Sponsor: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, (Forest Service), “Improve and repair public camp grounds, including the construction of a masonry dam at the outlet of Wrights Lake,… read more
An addition to the Wyoming County Courthouse in Tunkhannock, PA was constructed in 1939 as a New Deal project: the Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a $29,844 grant for the project, whose total cost was $61,882. PWA Docket No. PA [X]2080
The Civil Works Administration (CWA) conducted extensive improvement work at the Wyoming Girls’ Industrial Institute—now the Wyoming Girls’ School—in Sheridan. Cassity: Similarly, the Wyoming Girls’ Industrial Institute in Sheridan was transformed with paint, plumbing, and additions. Again, the plumbing proved… read more
The federal Public Works Administration helped to finance the construction of three buildings at the Wyoming State Training School in Lander, Wyoming during the 1930s. A new addition was constructed for the girls’ dormitory; a new boys’ dormitory was built;… read more
The Civil Works Administration (CWA) conducted extensive improvement work at the former Wyoming State Penitentiary in Rawlins, Wyoming. Located along W Walnut Street, it now houses a museum.
“The oldest section of the high school was begun in 1938 and opened to students in September 1939. … The federal Public Works Administration under President Franklin D. Roosevelt funded 45 percent of the school’s $600,000 cost. Designed by architect… read more
Yacht Basin No. 2 was part of a large-scale New Deal redevelopment of the Washington Channel and Southwest Waterfront area. The Diamond Construction Company started building the basin in 1938, supervised by the Army Corps of Engineers. The basin was completed… read more
The Public Works Administration awarded $27,415 to Yamhill County in 1935 for construction of Yamhill High School, later renamed Yamhill Carlton High School with consolidation of the Yamhill and Carlton school districts. County voters approved a $51,335 bond for the… read more
The Yamhill County Clerk building in McMinnville, Oregon was originally constructed as the town’s post office with funds from the Treasury Department during the New Deal. The building was completed in late 1935. The cornerstone has been altered to remove… read more
Originally constructed as a high school, what is now the Yancey County Schools District Office was completed in 1939 with assistance from the Works Progress Administration (WPA); it was one of five schools built by the WPA in Yancey County, North… read more
Twelve miles long, County Road S-3 connects Highway 78 and County Road S-22 at Christmas Circle in Borrego Springs. According to the curator at the Julian Historical Society, this was a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) project.
The original 32-acre tract that established Yaquina Bay State Park was donated by the United States Department of Commerce, Lighthouse Service on September 1, 1934. Shortly after, Civilian Conservation Corps workers from CCC Camp Newport began development of the site…. read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) carved the Yax-te Totem, as part of a restoration program that lasted approximately between 1938 and 1942. The program was part of a larger U.S. Forest Service effort to employ Alaska Natives and conserve totems and… read more
“The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), a New Deal relief agency for young men, played a major role” in the development of Yellowstone National Park “between the years 1933–42 in developing Yellowstone facilities. CCC projects included reforestation, campground development of many… read more
The Civil Works Administration (CWA) worked to construct / develop an airport in Cody, Wyoming. The airport is likely a precursor on the same site as what is now Yellowstone Regional Airport.
Lake impounded by earth dam on west. Documentation (mapsand plans on file in forest office) clearly indecates the dam was planned in the 1930s, but there is none to indicate that it was eventually constructed during this period not noted… read more
This log contraction, with stone chimney, was completed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1938.
Made by stone. 2 stone chimneys, stone floor. Constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1938.
WPA work involved "Landscaping and planting various cut slopes and excavated areas which have been opened up during the construction of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge"–Mooser, p. 84.
"Joann Larkey and Shipley Walters, in their 1987 Yolo County: Land of Changing Patterns noted (p. 84) that the WPA had been active, spending $65,000 in 1936-1937 alone in the county (for roads, sidewalks/curb/gutter, public buildings, and landscaping)… Road improvements… read more
“The federal government’s New Deal programs, specifically the Works Progress Administration and the Public Works Administration, also played a direct role in Rock Hill’s economic recovery. Building projects included … York County Hospital …” (sc.gov) “The hospital which accommodates both… read more