The Public Works Administration (PWA) project W1067 was “to build, equip school addition” (PWA Projects, 1935, p. 10), an Art Deco gymnasium for the Pace Consolidated School. The project received a $20,000 loan and a $16,515 grant and was approved on September 9, 1935. Construction began on April 6, 1936 and was completed on November 7, 1936 for a total of $37,860. Architects N. W. Overstreet and A. H. Town designed the building, constructed by Salley and Ellis.
Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Historic Resources Inventory. Retrieved November 5, 2017 from https://www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/Public/prop.aspx?id=23964&view=facts&y=1113
Status of Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, Report No. 5, Region No. 3, Mississippi. (January 3, 1940). Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works Projects Division, p. 104.
"PWA Projects for State Amounting to $4,122,097 are Given Presidential OK." Jackson Clarion-Ledger, October 1, 1935, p. 1, 10.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on November 8, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE