“The Madrid ballpark, the first lighted ballpark in New Mexico and possibly North America, was built in 1920 by the Employees Club in the old coal mine days. The Grandstand with it’s unusual tin roof was added in 1928. Extensive stonework was later added by the WPA in 1935. In a town of 3000 at its height as many as 6000 visitors per event attended ball games, rodeos, multicultural events, and Toyland during the Madrid Christmas celebrations.
The Madrid Miners were New Mexico’s only AA Minor League Team, and their reputation for winning pennants became widespread. The Madrid Employees Club supplied uniforms and equipment, the Coal Company paid for the transportation for the team to compete in other towns. The players received bonuses after winning seasons against rivals such as Albuquerque Dons, Santa Fe Loosens, Las Vegas Maroons, and Bernalillo Lumberjacks. After games miners talked about the amazing pitches of EJ ‘Chief’ Bowles, the clutch hitting of Johnny ‘Red’ Garcia and the superb slugging of Harry ‘Pop’ Stowers. The Madrid Miners, inspired and infused life into a town, during very dismal times. Fans would arrive at 7:00 AM to claim a good seat for the Sunday games.”
-Madrid Cultural Projects
"The Madrid Oscar Huber Memorial Ballpark," Madrid Cultural Projects <http://madridculturalprojects.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=91&Itemid=167> "New Deal Sites in New Mexico," Atlas of Historic New Mexico Maps, New Mexico Humanities Council. <http://atlas.nmhum.org/atlas.php?gmap=42>
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE