Osage Hills School, Kirkwood, MO
Osage Hills School was built in the Osage Hills area which was developed in the early 1900’s. It was wet whereas adjacent Kirkwood was a dry city, with alcohol establishments thriving initially in Osage Hills. The school was built on the location of the former Meramec Highlands dance pavilion.
The school was built by the firm of Bonsack & Pearce with a combination of local funds and federal matching grant funds available as part of the New Deal. The specific New Deal agency could not be identified.
It was used as a school until the late 1960’s. After going through several owners and some renovations, the school currently is occupied by a church which has gone to some lengths to preserve the structure of the original building. Although the gables have been removed from the roof and the windows and doors on the front façade have been altered, the overall building is minimally different.
Project originally submitted by Charles Swaney on June 26, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE