Orogrande SchoolDesert Sentinel
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built the Orogrande School in Orogrande NM. The structure served as a grade school from 1935-1958, a polling location from 1935 to 1985, and a community center from 1971 to present.
1) Public Art and Architecture in New Mexico 1933-1943 - A Guide to the New Deal Legacy by Kathryn A. Flynn.
2) Treasure on New Mexico Trails, Discover New Deal Art and Architecture by Kathryn A. Flynn
3) Watering Orogrande, The story of a pipeline and it's reservoirs in southern New Mexico by Wm. A Dodge
4) Alamogordo News - April 7, 1938
April 15, 1954
August 19, 1954
January 3, 1952
5) Alamogordo Daily News - December 5, 1957
November 5, 1958
March 23, 1959
June 21, 1979
December 14, 1981
Project originally submitted by Michael Gaba on February 20, 2021.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE