The [then-]North Texas State College‘s Orchestra Hall was constructed with federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds. The building (also known as Music Hall), which was located at Chestnut St. and Ave. C, has since been demolished and replaced. The P.W.A. contributed $40,000 toward the project, which was dedicated on April 27, 1937.
“PWA funds made it possible for UNT to provided better academic and residential facilities. In 1936 a new band and orchestra hall was constructed using a PWA grant and a bond issue from the Reconstruction Finance Corporation. This was the first use of a dormitory funding opportunity to finance a classroom building without cost to the taxpayers of Texas. The Orchestra Hall provided classroom space as well as rooms on the top floor for thirty-six men to live in. The men had to be members of the band and orchestra. During World War II the living quarters were used by the women of the college. After World War II the structure was used for classroom and office space.”
"Building the New Deal: Federal Construction on College Campuses in 1930s Texas," by Kaitlyn Waynen http://blogs.library.unt.edu/unt125/2015/08/17/public-works-administration-buildings-on-campus/ http://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc288132/m1/1/
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on May 10, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE