“A Public Works Administration grant of $42,545 was allocated for a pool at Wheeling Park to replace the obsolete facility that dated to the early 1900s. The grant was matched locally by a gift of $52,000 from businessman W.E. Stone. When the pool opened in 1937, a couple of months before the Oglebay pool, it was hailed by the local press as “…the largest and most modern in this section” (this pool was replaced in 1968).”
“When it opened, the Wheeling Park pool was the largest and most modern in the area, attracting hundreds of thousands of bathers over a thirty-year span before it was replaced by the current pool and clubhouse.”
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on June 2, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE