Old West Salem City HallFront as seen from Edgewater Street
“The former West Salem City Hall building was a Public Works Administration project, completed in 1936 at a cost of $30,000. This two-story Art Deco style brick building was designed by architect Lyle P. Bartholemew and served as City Hall for the City of West Salem from 1936 to 1949. It is one of only two Art Deco style buildings in West Salem.
Until 1949, West Salem was an independent city, in Polk County on the west side of the Willamette River. It’s location on Edgewater Street was in the heart of West Salem’s business district. After being plagued by problems with water, sewer and fire protection, West Salem merged with Salem in 1949. The building remained city property until 1987, serving as a public meeting hall, housing auxiliary city offices, and as a public library. Chemeketa Community College operated on the 2nd floor in 1966. The building was vacated by the City of Salem in 1987 and added to the National Register in 1990.
Today the building houses the Head Start Program and private offices.” (waymarking.com)
Further information submitted by D.D. Thompson http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMKP7W_West_Salem_City_Hall_Salem_Oregon Old West Salem City Hall National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form (http://pdfhost.focus.nps.gov/docs/NRHP/Text/90000841.pdf) dated April 20, 1990 http://boundless.uoregon.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/archpnw&CISOPTR=4354&CISOBOX=1&REC=1
Project originally submitted by Elise Tam Cooc on December 3, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE