Sharp School (former) – Buckholts TX

Project type: Education and Health, Schools
Completed:
Designers:
Contractors:
Quality of Information:
Marked:
Site Survival: ,
View Project in a Separate Window

Description

The Federal Administration of Public Works (a.k.a. Public Works Administration) provided funds to build the former Sharp School building about a dozen miles north of Thorndale, Texas, in 1939. As of 2018, the west end of the building appears intact, but the roof has collapsed on north and east ends.

After a 1939 fire, the Sharp School building was rebuilt with the help of the Public Works Administration. The Bartlett [TX] Tribune reported the incident: “Sharp’s new $74,000 school building which was to have been dedicated Sept 3, burned to the ground Sunday afternoon …

The building, which was erected with PWA aid had 12 classrooms, an auditorium and several offices.”

“The school was one of the largest in Central Texas and had just been completed. It had been declared the most modern school in this section.”

The PWA then considered providing funds toward the school’s re-construction; it is unclear whether the school was rebuilt. Sharp does not presently have a school.

Cameron Herald dated 3/28/1940:

“Contract Will be Awarded for Sharp School Building. Karl Johnson, Cameron architect, said early Saturday that contract will be let on April 1st for the new school building at Sharp.

The building was destroyed by fire last year when it was almost ready for occupancy. In the construction of the building government aid was given in outright grant.

Insurance in the amount of $40,000 was paid to the district following the fire. This money, now in the bank, will be supplemented by funds to be raised by the district and no government aid will be received on the new job.

The amount involved in the building will not be known until bids have been received and contract let. The building originally cost $70,000.00.”

Source notes

"Fire Destroys New $74,000 Sharp School"; The Bartlett Tribune and News (Bartlett, Tex.), Vol. 52, No. 47, Ed. 1, Friday, August 11, 1939
http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth76589/m1/1/zoom/?q=PWA

Plaques on building.

The Cameron Herald, 28 Mar 1940, Thu, Page 6: (https://www.newspapers.com/clip/20397074/), accessed May 27, 2018.

https://lost-texas.com/2011/04/03/sharp/

Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on January 1, 2014.
Additional contributions by Larry D Moore; Eveline Evans.

We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.

SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE

Location Info


250 County Rd 410A
Buckholts, TX 76518

Coordinates: 30.7529394, -97.1554952

One comment on “Sharp School (former) – Buckholts TX

  1. Stephen Taylor

    Yes, it was rebuilt, but only stayed open until about 1950, when it was consolidated with another district. The buildings still sit, slowly rotting away. 30°45’0.90″N 97° 9’30.89″W

Leave a Reply

Before leaving a comment, please note:

  • Comments allow viewers to share information with others or alert us to errors or changes in a New Deal site.
  • We are not involved in the management of New Deal sites and have no information about visits, hours or rentals.
  • This page shows all the information we have for this site; if you have new information or photos to share, click below.

SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE

We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.