An onsite marker erected in 1998 explains the history of this WPA rock structure:
“Land was first purchased for a public school in Omaha in 1892 and a large wooden building near the railroad tracks soon housed three teachers and 165 students. The community formed an independent school district in 1905 and built a new two-story brick structure the following year. It was enlarged as necessary, including the addition of a rock gymnasium erected by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) between 1938 and 1940. After a tornado damaged the property in 1950, the school merged with nearby Naples at the urging of a wealthy oilman and rancher who promised financial backing for the consolidated district. The WPA gym was renovated for commercial use by its new owner.” (http://atlas.thc.state.tx.us)
Project originally submitted by Susan Kline on January 28, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE