The one-story stone school was constructed in the Plain Traditional style in 1938 by the NYA. The construction of the school was an economic and education boost to Stone County, one of the most isolated of Arkansas counties, with the lowest population in the state. In 1992, it was converted to a private residence.
Christ, M. K., & Slater, C. H. (2000). Sentinels of History: Reflections on Arkansas Properties in the National Register of Historic Places. Fayetteville, AR: University of Arkansas. Story, K. (1992). Alco School nomination form for the National Register of Historic Places. Retrieved from http://www.arkansaspreservation.com/!userfiles/ST0277.nr.pdf.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on February 4, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE