Santa Ana City Hall
From the application for National Historic Register:
Old Santa Ana City Hall was constructed in 1935 at a cost of $126,000, funded by city bonds and a Works Progress Administration (WPA) grant. It was designed by architect W. Horace Austin of Long Beach, who had designed the rather similar Masonic Temple at Sycamore and Fifth Streets a few years earlier. A prominent Southern California architect, Austin’s credits also include the Bowers Museum and numerous Long Beach commissions (the old Long Beach City Hall [demolished], several schools, the original Buffum’s Department Store [demolished], the Long Beach YMCA [demolished], the Pacific Tower, the Press-Telegram Building, and the Long Beach Airport Terminal). Local contractors Ball and Honer constructed the building. This was the third City Hall to be built on the site, and replaced the 1904 building, which had been rendered unsafe after the 1933 earthquake.
The building was used as Santa Ana’s city hall until 1973. It now houses an advertising firm.
Project originally submitted by Marshall Duell on April 8, 2009.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE