Spearfish Post Office (former)
In 1940 this post office opened for the use of the citizens of Spearfish. It was built in an architectural style that was used in many small towns. There were also offices in the basement to house federal programs such as the Extension Service. From 1930 to to 1942 the federal government greatly expanded its public building programs. The style of the Spearfish post office was described as Class C, for a “second class city,” which was defined by the volume of postal receipts. The Class C post offices were brick buildings with wood doors and windows and very simple forms of ornamentation. In 1937, $75,000 was allocated for all expenses surrounding construction of the post office.
The post office closed at this location in 1997, and the building now houses a bank, as well as an example of New Deal artwork (see linked project).
Spearfish Historical Preservation Commission historical marker No. 16
Project originally submitted by Douglass Halvorsen on February 15, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE