Old Silver Spring Post Office
The historic post office building in Silver Spring MD was constructed in 1936-7 by the Treasury Department. Its construction is sometimes mis-attributed to the WPA (Works Progress Administration).
It is a typical Colonial Revival style building, often used in the eastern states for post offices during the interwar period.
The U.S. Postal Service sold off the building in 1981, which is now privately owned and occupied by a medical office. The interior was completely redone by the new owners. The Silver Spring Historical Society is in possession several items salvaged from the renovation.
A New Deal mural originally installed in the post office has been moved to the Silver Spring Public Library.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE