Old Silver City Post OfficeThe Silver City courthouse is in the background.
This colorful post office was built in 1934 by the Treasury Department. It is a one-story hollow tile construction with a basement. It has modified Mission-style arches, relief ornamentation and entablature with finials over front entrance, double-leaf front doors, transom covered by row of turned spindles, two gabled skylights. The contractor was Robert E. McKee of El Paso.
The building is still standing but was discontinued as post office in mid-1970s. As of Summer 2012, the building is vacant and up for sale.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE