Old Post Office
This former post office building was constructed in 1936 with Treasury Department funds at a federal cost of $52,000. (Construction is sometimes mis-attributed to the WPA.) According the the Arkansas Historic Preservation program, it was one of seven similar buildings constructed at that time. Originally, the building contained the mural “Men at Rest” by artist Richard Sargent. That mural was relocated and is currently on display at the Conway County Courthouse.
In 1990 a new post office was constructed, but the community retained rights to the former post office, which was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on Aug. 14, 1998. In 2013, the former post office was renovated to serve as the Conway County Office of Emergency Management and the 911 communications center. The building retains its historic status and renovations have preserved the structure’s key original elements.
http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2013/aug/18/former-morrilton-post-office-house-oem-911-center/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/courthouselover/4452771697/in/photostream/ http://mainstreetmorrilton.com/oldpostoffice.html
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE