Former Magnolia Post Office
The historic former post office building in Magnolia, Arkansas was constructed in 1937. Soon after the New Deal mural “Threshing,” by Joe Jones, was completed and installed. The Magnolia post office was similar in design to that in Van Buren, which was constructed in 1936. The exterior structure retains the cast-concrete detailing of airplane propellers (which are also on the post office in Van Buren, Arkansas (Silva, 2011)). The building underwent renovations to convert it to the public library in 1968 (History of the Columbia County Library), and further changed when it was acquired by the Farmer’s Bank and Trust after 2009 (Gill) altered the entrance and windows.
An original photograph of the building shows it was originally buff-colored brick, with two 6/6 double hung windows are the corner, double wooden entry doors with a single lite, and a 3-lite transom over the doors. A larger window was positioned on either side of the entry doors. The design of these windows was composed of a centered 2-lite large, flanked by a narrow 5-lite divided panel.
According to Gill the mural remains in the building.
Gill, J. P. (n. d.). Post Office Art. Encyclopedia of Arkansas History and Culture. Retrieved from https://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net/encyclopedia/entry-detail.aspx?entryID=454. History of Columbia County Library. (n.d.) Columbia County Library. Retrieved from www2.youseemore.com/columbia/about.asp?p=7. Silva, R. (2011). Walks through history: Downtown Van Buren. Retrieved from https://www.arkansaspreservation.com/pdf/tour_scripts/Van%20Buren%20HD%20Tour%20Script%202011.pdf. Cleveland, L. J. & Thornton, D. (2013). Images of America: Columbia County. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Publishing, p. 105.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on January 7, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE