Corner EntrancePhoto: Eveline Evans © All Rights Reserved © All Rights Reserved
According to the 1941 Hearne Democrat, the post office is located at 3rd and Magnolia Streets. The contract was awarded to Leslie F. Crockett Construction Co. in January of 1941 for $50,877. The building was designed in Spanish Revival style. The structure is buff stucco with a corner entrance and a canopy covering the walk on both sides.
The building has tiled floor and the wainscoat of tile with white oak panels to 7 ft height and buff colored plaster walls. Along the east side of the lobby are service windows, along the north are more than 800 bronze lock boxes of Greek design in various sizes. The south side is the Postmaster’s office. The west end is the workroom entrance where the postal clerks did their work.
The former Post Office has a large basement, and a stairway at the west side of the workroom. In the basement is the gas-burning boiler for heating the building.
Built under the Federal Works Agency of the Public Works Administration, Mr. Paul L. Vaughn was the construction engineer.
Researcher note: The building was an antique store, it is currently vacant.
Hearne Democrat Nov 7, 1941: (https://www.newspapers.com/clip/20093388/hearne_democrat_nov_7_1941/), accessed June 12, 2018.
Project originally submitted by Eveline Evans on June 11, 2018.