Old Fond du Lac Post Office
“In 1906, a new post office was complete at 19 W. 1st Street; that building was razed in favor of the existing structure at the same location. Standing two stories high, this building is faced with stone along its 1st Street elevation, while its rear is sheathed with brick. Although identified as Art Deco in the earlier survey, the more appropriate name for the style is Stripped Classicism which was popular for federal buildings. Despite the new signage that runs along the top of the building and new windows have been installed in the significantly larger openings, the openings themselves have not been altered and the modest stone detailing in the panels between the windows remains.”
Sometimes mis-attributed to the WPA, the building’s construction was funded by the Treasury Department.
"Historical & Architectural Resource Survey: City of Fond du Lac, Fond du Lac County, WI." http://www.fdl.wi.gov/cofuploads/FDL_Historic___Architectural_Survey_8.31.11.pdf
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE