Former Beverly Hills Post Office
The Beverly Hills Post Office was begun in 1933 on the site of the former Pacific Electric Railway Station. It was one of the few municipal projects in the early 1930s to be funded through a general appropriations bill, which was passed in 1931 (Pub. L. No. 869, 46 Stat. 1552, 1587), but the cornerstone shows it was completed by work of the Treasury under the Roosevelt administration.
“Prominent local architect, Ralph C. Flewelling, in concert with Allison & Allison Architects, received the architectural commission for the Italian Renaissance Revival style which complemented the design of the adjacent City Hall…
The Post Office opened in 1934 and was dedicated in 1936 under the Franklin D. Roosevelt Administration. For decades following, the Beverly Hills Post Office took on even greater significance by becoming the cornerstone of the City and its social fabric, where prominent citizens of Beverly Hills were spotted daily.” (thewallis.org)
The post office is now the Wallis Annenberg Center.
"Annenbergs Give Grant For Arts Center In Beverly Hills". New York Times. June 29, 2004.
Photos by Jordan McAlister at:
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE