Old US Post Office, Batesville MS
This former post office building was constructed by the Treasury Department in 1940.
The one-story brick building has a basement. Wright (2003) described the building, “…a copper visor over the front entrance…recessed windows…decorative dentil work around the top perimeter and between recessed window openings…iron railing on front facade.”
This building is now used as a private law office.
This post office originally contained the mural “Cotton Plantation” by Eve Kottgen, completed in 1942. The current location of the mural is on the work floor of the new post office building where it is not visible to the public.
Wrigth, L. P. (2003). Nomination form for the National Register of Historic Places, Batesville Historic District. Mississippi Department of Archives and History, Historic Resources Inventory database.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on October 30, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE
The old Batesville post office, Batesville MS,is owned by Charlie Baglan and houses his private law firm