Sharon PA Oakland Ave Viaduct
The second Oakland Avenue Viaduct in Sharon, Pennsylvania opened on Christmas Day 1936 and was demolished June 23, 2001. The structure was built as a New Deal project sponsored by the Public Works Administration [PWA, not the Works Progress Administration (WPA)]. The PWA provided a $72,396 grant toward this $158,074 project.
The bridge bore an aluminum Public Works Administration plaque featuring the names of the Mercer County commissioners, engineer, solicitor, and contractor. (For some reason date “1938” was placed on the plaque.)
PWA Docket No. 1168R
National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 32.
Sharon Herald: "A blast from the past: Classic arches graced hollow for 65 years," June 24, 2001. <https://www2.sharonherald.com/localnews/recentnews/0106/ln062401z.html>, accessed March 2018.
Photos, including aluminum plaque: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Oakland_Avenue_Viaduct
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on March 17, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE