Miami’s old Northwest 27th Avenue Bridge was constructed with federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The bridge was completed 1939; however, it was largely replaced upon renovation during the late 1980s.
Living New Deal believes the moving bridge is PWA Docket No. FL W1343; the PWA supplied a $188,100 grant for the project, whose total cost was $386,012. Construction occurred between October 1938 and November 1939.
Interestingly, upon replacement the old tender house was, instead of being destroyed, removed, relocated, and reconstructed to the front of Miami’s Wolfsonian—FIU museum.
“The hexagonal, stainless-steel Bridge Tender House was built in 1939 for the Northwest 27th Avenue Bridge. Designed in the Art Moderne style by Harrington & Corteyou, the structure was saved from demolition in the late 1980s when the bridge was reconstructed, and it was donated to the collection by the Florida Department of Transportation. In recent years the Bridge Tender House has often housed installations by contemporary artists whose work expanded on themes in the museum’s collection.”
National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 92. http://www.soulofmiami.org/2011/04/09/at-the-wolfsonian-fiu-sidewalk-service-get-your-cupcakes-here/ http://www.enflyer.com/app/file_root/3116/EnFlyers/126066.html http://www.aisc.org/contentNSBA.aspx?id=21362
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on January 19, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE