The former National Guard Armory in Columbia, Tennessee was designed by Warfield and Keeble. The facility includes a 70×100-foot drill hall. Warfield and Keeble designed a series of Tennessee National Guard Armories for the WPA between 1940-1942 with a “standardized but vaguely Art Deco-style architectural plan” (Fieser & Moore, 2011). Other armories were in Cleveland, Shelbyville, Centerville, and Murfreesboro. The Tenth Machine Gun and Chemical Company was headquartered in the Columbia armory during World War II. The building is currently used by the local Parks and Recreation department.
Fieser, H. A., & Moore, E. (2011) US Naval Reserve Training Center nomination form for the National Register of Historic Places. Tri-Cities port listed by WPA as defense aid. Kingsport Times, October 19, 1941, p. 2 Van West, C. (2009). Edwin A. Keeble. The Tennessee Encyclopedia of History and Culture. Van West, C. (2001). Tennessee's New Deal Landscape: A guidebook. Knoxville, TN: University of Tennessee Press.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on September 14, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE