Eight boys of the federal National Youth Administration (NYA) worked to improve the grounds at the old Trenton Municipal Colony in Hamilton Township, “a complex that included facilities to care for city dependents, including the aged, the homeless, the infirm and those suffering from contagious diseases.” The Mercer County Geriatric Center now occupies the site.
According to a WPA bulletin, the NYA boys were at work “painting benches, cutting grass and cleaning up the grounds.”
"The Dawn," a New Jersey WPA publication; July 1936 issue, page 3. Found at the Jersey City Public Library's New Jersey Room. http://lcpdams.librarycompany.org:8881/R/?func=dbin-jump-full&object_id=61833&local_base=GEN01 http://glover320.blogspot.com/2010/01/1930-trentons-municipal-colony.html
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on January 8, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE