McCarty School - Vic. Elmore City, OK
The Works Progress Administration built the McCarty School in the vicinity of Elmore City, OK.
Contributor note: “The McCarty School was built to educate children in the rural area northeast of Elmore City.
This two-room school is located in an area known as McCarty, although there is no town per se. When built in 1939, it was the only building in the area. It stands on the northwest corner of the intersection of County Roads 1620E and 3190N, about six miles northeast of Elmore City.
This is a one-story, two-classroom school with a gabled roof. The building appears to be vacant at this time. The east entrance which is recessed under an arch has a concrete block extension for bathrooms, and is not visible. The south entrance is recessed beneath a projected covered porch that has a gable roof. The windows facing the road have been covered with wood. A report on this building indicates that on the west (rear), there are windows set in six’s that extend to the eaves that have wood sashes. We suspect that these are also boarded up. The building was behind a fence and could not be approached.”
Waymarking, McCarty School: (http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMZ6D0_McCarty_School_Vic_Elmore_City_OK), accessed September 27, 2018.
Project originally submitted by hamquilter on September 29, 2018.