Old Margaret Hague Maternity Hospital
Margaret Hague Maternity Hospital, constructed 1928 to 1931, underwent a $2,000,000 extension project undertaken in part with federal Public Works Administration funds. At one point this was among—if not the single—busiest maternity hospitals in the U.S. The massive addition, identifiable as the tallest component of the building, faces Cornelison Avenue, was completed ca. 1940. Jersey City’s mayor at the time, Frank Hague, named the hospital for his mother, Margaret Hague. Terry Golway of The New York Times writes that “…W.P.A. money allowed…[Mayor Hague] to expand the complex into the nation’s third-largest medical facility. At Hague’s insistence, the center offered medical care to all Jersey City residents regardless of their ability to pay.” The building is now privately owned.
"Hague Hospital Work Delayed By Inquiry"; The New York Times, Nov. 21, 1939. http://www.njcu.edu/programs/jchistory/pages/m_pages/margaret_hague_maternity_hospital.htm http://pdfhost.focus.nps.gov/docs/NRHP/Text/85003057.pdf http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/19/nyregion/long-island/19Rwpa.html
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on January 1, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE