Lincoln School (former) Improvements – Framingham MA

Description

All 17 schoolhouses in Framingham, Massachusetts were painted, remodeled, and/or repaired with federally funded labor during the Great Depression.

At the former Lincoln School the Civil Works Administration (C.W.A.) painted classrooms and repaired ceilings in 1933. Heating facilities and floors were improved in 1934. Federal Emergency Relief Administration (F.E.R.A.) funds also allowed for a new playground for the school that year.

In 1936 the Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.)  conducted numerous repairs, including varnishing interior woodwork; painting, both inside and out; patching ceilings; and re-pointing bricks. New concrete walkways were installed by the W.P.A. in 1937.

A school addition project was completed by the W.P.A. in 1940: “A one-story addition approximately 70′ x 10′ has been built on the north side of the section housing the assembly hall. This gives us storage space for the assembly hall seats and stage properties and makes it possible for the girls to use their locker rooms where the seats have been stored in former years.” (Town Report, 1940, pg. 276)

Furthermore, the principal of Lincoln Junior High School supplied the following as part of his 1942 annual report to the superintendent: “We are indebted to the W.P.A. for the following improvements: A bicycle rack and shelter for boys’ bicycles. Refinishing rooms 302, 306, 105. Painting the side walls in the three corridors and stairwells. Kalsomining ceilings in stairwells and two corridors.”

Source notes

Annual Report of the Town of Framingham for the Year Ending December 31, 1933 (pg. 207).
Annual Report of the Town of Framingham for the Year Ending December 31, 1934 (pp. 138, 161, 211).
Annual Report of the Town of Framingham for the Year Ending December 31, 1936 (pg. 152).
Annual Report of the Town of Framingham for the Year Ending December 31, 1937 (pg. 298).
Annual Report of the Town of Framingham for the Year Ending December 31, 1939 (pg. 227).
Annual Report of the Town of Framingham for the Year Ending December 31, 1940 (pp. 256, 276).
Annual Report of the Town of Framingham for the Year Ending December 31, 1942 (pg. 140).
Annual Report of the Town of Framingham for the Year Ending December 31, 1943 (pg. 186).

Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on January 1, 2017.

We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.

SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE

Location Info


61 Lincoln St.
Framingham, MA 01702

Coordinates: 42.281453, -71.418082

Leave a Reply

Before leaving a comment, please note:

  • Comments allow viewers to share information with others or alert us to errors or changes in a New Deal site.
  • We are not involved in the management of New Deal sites and have no information about visits, hours or rentals.
  • This page shows all the information we have for this site; if you have new information or photos to share, click below.

SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE

We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.