“In the late 1930s, with financial aid of the Works Progress Administration, the city of Sarasota built the Lido Beach Casino. Designed by Ralph Twitchell, the “grandfather of the Sarasota school of architecture,” the art deco-style “palace” boasted a swimming pool, restaurants and bars, cabanas, shops and a ballroom.
The casino opened in May 1940 as a mecca of dining, drinking and dancing. For more than two decades, it attracted famous bands and Hollywood celebrities and was the venue for all kinds of events, from beauty pageants to proms to athletic competitions to political rallies.”
The facility, save its swimming pool, was demolished in 1969.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on April 18, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE